Thursday, February 2, 2012

More Jewelry

I finally finished a ring with my metal clay!  It was certainly a process.  The first one I made I didn't fire enough (I guess), and I used Swaroski crystals.  Firing them was kind of like holding chocolate chips in your hand.  And since I didn't fire it enough, part of it snapped when I was polishing it.  I tried to put it back together, but it was that extra firing that melted the crystals.

So I got some lab created spinels (thanks to my DH for the birthday present!) and set to work again.  The first attempt ended in disaster.  Once again, the ring snapped.  (I get the concept of being "tested in fire" now!).  However, I was able to salvage the set gems and part of the ring itself to create earrings.  I really hate wasting things!

Back to the drawing board.  Or rolling pin.  The next attempt looked good.  Got it dry to the leather stage.  Then I decided it wasn't quite right, so squashed it up.  Actually, I let it dry out so I could rehydrate it to try again.

If at first, and second, and third you don't succeed, give it one more go!  Finally!  It worked.  I do have one confession, though.  One of the gems didn't set far enough into the clay, so it has popped out a few times.  The first time it popped out, I was cleaning it to wear.  I used oil paste to replace it.  The next time I was at a restaurant.  It popped out on the table, luckily. I used glass/jewelry glue. Last night it popped out again and I lost it.  The gem I mean.  Not my mind!  Anyway, I had one left, so I used it instead. Super glue.  I sure hope it's super and stays glued!  It may be time to see what "real" jewelers use.
The texture is made from sandpaper.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hi Susan, your jewelry is adorable. How talented you are to make such original wearables. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris