Saturday, February 25, 2012

Crocheted wire and bead necklace

I went as a chaperon on a ski trip last weekend.  Unfortunately, after only about 2 hours out on the slopes (first time in 27 years.  I learned to ski in utero!), my shoulder and the ground had made contact a few too many times.  Nothing broken, but a severe strain and maybe rotator cuff involvement (I find out next week).  Anyway, the trip was up in the quaint little town of Galena, IL.

On Sunday afternoon, we all went into town for a few hours before heading home.  Of course I had to go into the local bead store--Galena Beads.  Fortunately for my husband, I was already feeling too guilty concerned about how much the trip had cost since my son and I were both participating.  Otherwise, I would have spent a fortune in there!  One thing I really wanted but didn't get was a kit for making crocheted wire beaded necklaces.  I know.  I'd never heard of such a thing either.  They were gorgeous.  Even my son's girlfriend, who makes jewelry (so I've heard, but never seen) and is an artist as well, thought they were really neat.  Well, being the cheap frugal person that I am, I figured I could find directions online if I looked.

When we got home, after saying hello to my husband and daughters, I got online (Note: it's hard to type with one arm in a sling!).  I found a number of directions and video tutorials. I couldn't wait to get started.  However, after 3 hours of walking around Galena, a 5 hour trip home, and an arm in a sling (and did I mention I also twisted my knee something fierce trying to get up after I slammed into the ground?  Then smacked into a trailer hitch on a parked car?  Can you say klutz?), I decided I better get to bed if I was going to be at work on time at 8:00 AM.

Ahh!  Monday evening finally arrived.  I went downstairs to my crafting lair.  I had a whole assortment of miscellaneous beads that came in my Club Scrap kits that I used to order, and I had some wire from a 6 pack set that I'd bought but never used.  And happily, I even found the crochet hook that my mother loaned me about 10 years ago that I never returned!  I was ready.

Now, being me, I made a few mistakes along the way.  I won't bore you with the details.  But in the end--about 90 minutes, including about half that time to select beads--I had a finished project.  OK.  Almost finished.  I didn't have the kind of fastener I wanted, but I really wanted to wear the necklace.  So I used what was on-hand with the intention of replacing it with a nice toggle.

Today I got the toggle and replaced the lobster claw clasp I had had.  I love it!  I posted it on facebook the other night, modeling it (that wrinkly thing surely couldn't be MY neck, could it?).  My niece commented that it was the kind of thing she'd wear.  So I guess I'm going to be  mailing it to her.  I got to wear it once, an I did love it.  But I have many necklaces in the same shades, and I figure I can always make another one!

I'm so excited about these that I went to Hobby Lobby and spent what I convinced myself not to spend in Galena!  But I'll probably be able to get about 4 or 5 necklaces for what I would have paid for two kits, so I consider that being ahead.  And with luck my husband will some $$ at his poker game tonight, too!

Hope you like the necklace.  I'll post more when I finish them.


Be sure to stop by I Gotta Create and check out all the awesome projects by other bloggers at the linky party!



No comments: