Sunday, May 13, 2012

So, as usual, much more time has gone by than I intended  between posts.  I've been busy!   For now I'll just show the things I made this weekend while sitting watching tv.  Hey, it's Mother's Day weekend, I deserve some down time!

This is a Shambala bracelet.  It's made with red jade beads.  This was my first attempt at macrame since I was about 12.  It was fun.  You can see part of the closure on the right side--all the black macrame above the last bead.  It's a slide closure, so it will fit a lot of different sized wrists.  Very nice since it's hard (at least for me) to figure out how big or small to make a bracelet.
Another macrame bracelet made with czech glass beads I got from a Tophatter auction. The thread is waxed Irish linen.  I guess this makes this bracelet international!

This bracelet uses the same knot as the Shambala bracelet, but instead of adding one bead to the middle, a bead is added to each side.

I loved the way this came out.  Unfortunately, that trouble I have sizing bracelets that I mentioned?  Well, it ended up being too small for me, even though I tried it around my wrist about a dozen times before finishing it.  However, luckily for my oldest daughter, it did fit her.

The button I used as a closure is a vintage button from my Grandma Rudolph's button "box".  It's not a box, it's a tin from a 5 lb beef brain.  She and my grandpa used to run a grocery store.  I love the look on people's faces when they really look at it for the first time.  The tin, not the button.

Another macrame bracelet--this one made with glass "pearls.  Another Tophatter win.  This is also made like the Shambala, but instead of a full knot (or more) and then adding a bead, you do a half knot, add a bead, then the other half, add a bead....It's pretty easy unless you're watching Supernatural with your daughter and keep losing your place.  Then you have to go back and calculate every time: left, right, left, right, left.  Don't know if it makes one feel like a soldier or Dr. Seuss.

A vintage button from the brain tin again.  This is probably my favorite.  Fortunately, there are several of them.

And finally, a pendant I made out of a baked marble.  I had read about these in many places online and was dying to try it.  It's very easy, but I did have to adjust things a bit.  Basically, you put your marbles on a pan in a preheated 500 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Then take and pour them immediately into a glass or bowl of cold water with ice (Don't use plastic as the marbles could melt it when they settle.).  Let them sit for about 20-30 minutes.  Because the exterior and interior of the hot marble cool at different rates, the pressure inside the marble causes it to crack.  You may have one that occasionally cracks all the way, but I only had that happen to 2 out of about 15.  I did have to tweak things a little, though.  I didn't think the marbles had enough cracks, so I ended up putting them back in the oven.  When I took them out, I didn't have to ice them again as they had cracked more when heated the second time.  They do look really pretty.

Anyway, I then used silver wire to make a bail, glued it on, and voila!
a lovely pendant.  Can't wait to try making different wrapped wire bails for the rest of them.

1 comment:

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I really LOVe the marble pendant!! Cracking gives even more interest.
<3 Christina
I Gotta Create!